Outlets and Stores
During your trip, you must set some time aside to experience going shopping in New York City!! The island has stores which are always on sale, you just have to pay attention to the advertisements and wait for special holidays such as Thanksgiving, Labor Day, or Black Friday.
Woodbury Common Premium Outlets
It is a big shopping center where you will find popular brands such as Armani, Calvin Klein, Canali, Carter´s, Converse, Lacoste, Polo Ralph Lauren, Reebok, and others. There are 220 stores distributed in a village fashion, with an outdoor area outside the stores.
- You´ll see discounts of 25-65% (customers over 50 have an extra 10% discount on Tuesdays).
- It is important to bear in mind that it will take you all day to visit the whole place, but you can always take a rest having lunch at the food court.
- If you really want to go shopping during your trip, we suggest taking an additional empty suitcase with you. Otherwise, you can always buy a new one at Woodbury, for example at Samsonite.
- There are ATMs available.
- When you get to the shopping area, go to the customer service desk and ask for a discount voucher and a size conversion chart. You can also rent a stroller or a wheelchair.
- The shopping centre is located an hour and a half away from Manhattan.
- You can go there with children since there is a playground for them.
- Remember that it is very crowded at the weekend.
By bus: From Port Authority Station (40th St and 8th Av)-go to the second floor and buy a Woodbury Common ticket from the Greyhound Buses Office (Short Line or Gray Line). The return ticket is US$40. The bus leaves from the platform marked on the ticket (generally platform 310), on the third floor.
By train: MTA trains run only at the weekends and it takes longer to get to the place than traveling by bus. By Car: : take New York State Thruway (Interstate 87) to Harriman (exit 16).
If you want another alternative to go shopping, you can visit this shopping mall which features mostly American clothes and shoes brands. As an added benefit, it offers tax-free shopping on clothing and shoes (as in other stores in the state of New Jersey).
- Bear in mind that not all the brands have an outlet store in this area.
- Prices are attractive and there are always good deals for stock recycling purposes.
- As compared with other outlet stores, you´ll find good deals all year round.
- It´s nearer than Woodbury (40-45min away)
- When you get there, go to the customer service desk and ask for a discount voucher with your passport.
- Arrive early and make sure you wear comfortable clothes
- There are some places to eat, mostly fast food places.
By bus: NJ Transit from Port Authority Station
- Bus N 115 toward Rahway (via Jersey Gardens)
- Bus N 111 toward Jersey Gardens Ikea Elizabeth (Stop at Jersey Garden Mall).
Return tickets are US$13. You can purchase them at the ticket window or at the ticket machines.
Horarios: 10 am -21 pm. (Lun –Sáb). 11 am – 19 pm. (Dom)
Donde: Jersey Gardens NJ Turnpike, Exit 13 A , 651 Kapkowski Road.(Elizabeth).
You´ll need extra time to visit this nine-story department store because it´s huge. There is even a basement-level space called “The Cellar” devoted to chefs and cuisine lovers.
Bear in mind that deals are not as good as those in other department stores except for the Holiday deals. You can always get 70% off deals on last season clothing. You´ll find the label “sale” on the garment hangers. You can even get an extra 11% off deal if you have a foreigner coupon or if you visit the department store at the weekend (you can get your coupon at Customer Service showing your passport).
You can´t leave the place without visiting the first escalator in New York which was built in the department store and it´s still working. Macy´s has a food court with fast food places and a restaurant called Macy´s Cellar Bar & Grill which offers an a la carte menu. Opening and closing hours change depending on the day of the week and they are longer on holidays and special occasions.
Hours: Monday-Friday-Saturday (10am-8.30) Tuesday-Thursday (8am-10pm) Sunday (11am-7pm)
Where: 151 W 34th St.
Century 21 is a chain of department stores and the largest location is in Lower Manhattan, opposite Ground Zero. It is a good option if you don´t want to spend the whole day shopping at the outlet malls which are far from the island. You´ll find top brands like Calvin Klein, Polo Ralph Lauren, Michael Kors, and up to 50% off deals. Bear in mind that the area is always crowded because of its proximity to city landmarks such as the Statue of Liberty and the World Trade Center. You´ll have to be patient since the hangers are always crammed with clothes and it´s difficult to find the correct size of each garment. The tidiest area is the shoe department. You will also find bags and purses (they have good deals in this area), perfumes and all kinds of souvenirs. It is open from Monday to Sunday at local business hours.
Location: 22 Cortland St, Financial District.
1972 Broadway St, Upper West Side (Columbus Circle).
This department store is the ideal place to go just window shopping for nice things because it´s more expensive than other stores. You will find good deals in the cosmetics department though.
We don´t recommend this store if you are a compulsive shopper unless your credit card limit is high.
As in other department stores, there are special discounts for foreigners.
If you´d like to have something to eat, on the seventh floor you can enjoy Forty Carrots salads and soups. The restaurant also serves sandwiches, natural fruit juice, a delicious chocolate cake and the traditional carrot cake for dessert.
While you wait for your food, you can get in touch with your family through the free Wi-Fi connection.
Where: 1000-3rd Ave and 59th (Midtown E)
Opening and closing hours are extended on holidays.
Saks Fifht Av
A luxury department store with breathtaking windows displays. It´s worth visiting even if you´re just going to take a look at the latest fashion trends.
There are up to 60% off deals for Thanksgiving and there are up to 80% off deals after the Holidays (especially on December 26th and July 4th). However, prices are still high with the discounts since the store sells high-end labels.
The department store extends over several floors. There is a restaurant called SnACKs located on the contemporary clothing floor, which serves delicious food and where you can relax, forget about the city rush and continue shopping.
Hours: Monday-Friday-Saturday (10am-8.30)Tuesday-Thursday (8am-10pm)Sunday (11am-7pm)
Where: 151 W 34th St.